28 September 2008

RIP Paul Newman

RIP Paul Newman
(Jan. 26, 1925 - Sep. 26, 2008)

Paul Newman died Friday in Connecticut, due to cancer. Newman is an actor whose presence on screen instantly draws me in. He is exceptionally handsome, but also a serious and incredibly talented actor, not unlike his method acting peers Brando, Dean, and Clift. When he got older, he seemed to be able to reinvent himself as an actor, with a whole new look and presence on screen, the wrinkle of wisdom and know-how deeply imprinted in his forehead. I particularly remember him as the big business mogul in Hudsucker Proxy. Apart from that he was a great activist and humanitarian, a person you couldn't help but love on screen as well as off. Hearing about his death made me realize I have all these films of his on my Netflix queue that I have had on there for a long time. I think now is the time to watch them, maybe a mini-Newman festival. As for now, I will always have my first impression of Newman that continues to stay with me as Cool Hand Luke, someone who taught me that "sometimes nothing can be a pretty cool hand."

No comments: