13 July 2009

Summer with the Bard


The Film Society of Lincoln Center is putting together a pretty interesting lineup of Shakespeare film adaptations in a series called The Bard Goes Global, for which I did a little write up. My favorite Shakespeare adaptation, Kurosawa's Ran, is not included, though the very excellent Throne of Blood makes an appearance. I am most excited, however, for Orson Welles's Macbeth. They are also playing Roman Polanski's Macbeth, a film I never even knew existed until now. Do you have a favorite Shakespeare adaptation?

3 comments:

Matt Olver said...

Franco Zeffirelli's first two films The Taming of the Shrew (1967) and Romeo and Juliet (1968) remain favorites of mine. The former is largely overlooked, but really great. My favorite Olivier adaptation is Henry V (1944).

The film adaptation I haven't seen which looks kind of interesting is Jean-Luc Godard's King Lear (1987).

Joshua said...

I'd probably go with Ran as well, unless The Bad Sleep Well counts, as it's modeled after Shakespeare, if not a direct adaptation.

kazu said...

Matt, I have not seen any Zeffirelli except for his HAMLET in high school, most of which I forget by now. I am also intrigued/frightened by the thought of Godard doing Lear.

Joshua. I would definitely count THE BAD SLEEP WELL, which is excellent as well.