03 August 2009

My Favorite Femme Fatale


Gloria Grahame will be featured with a full day of films on TCM as part of their SUMMER UNDER THE STARS series on Thursday, August 13. A personal favorite, Fritz Lang's 1953 noir The Big Heat, is playing at 9:45 p.m. In it Grahame plays Debby Marsh, an opportunistic moll who hangs around with the vicious Vince Stone (Lee Marvin), full of scarcasm and nihilistic witicisms such as: "The main thing is to have the money. I've been rich and I've been poor. Believe me, rich is better." Or, when she enters Bannion's (Glenn Ford's) room, which is completely unadorned: "Hey, I like this. Early nothing." Her beautiful face becomes the site of the greatest tragedy when she famously gets a pot of hot coffee thrown at her by the vicious Stone. It's not to be missed.

Oh, and I found this poster on TCM.com, which puts a modern twist on a onesheet for the film. There are some other great ones shown here.

A coffee pot! Fantastic!

1 comment:

Seth and the Swan said...

whoa. that's a cool poster.